Thursday, February 23, 2012

Legere et Discere

Although I had previously acquired miscellaneous pieces of the language from my studies of law and medical terminology, my interest in Latin did not genuinely begin to wax until I discovered that most wonderful tome, The Anatomy of Melancholy. Burton's streaming prose, so incredibly steeped in learning, is saturated with borrowings of ancient Latin aphorisms and poetry. It colors his writing, bringing the words to life in a way that English alone would not. 

As I've rekindled my passion for ancient Greek and Roman culture, my desire to truly learn their languages has grown. Correspondingly, I made the plunge and have been rapidly adding Latin to my polyglot checklist. These are the sources I'm currently working from:

  • Learn Latin: A Lively Introduction to Reading the Language by Peter Jones
  • Wheelock's Latin (7th Edition) by Richard A. LaFleur
  • War with Hannibal: Authentic Latin Prose for the Beginning Student by Brian Beyer and Dale A. Grote
  • Caesar's Gallic Wars (Revised Edition) by Charles E. Bennett (1950)
  • Latin for Beginners by Benjamin L. D'ooge, PhD. (Available HERE)
  • Various works made available on the Textkit Blog.
  • Learn Latin Online


_  

No comments:

Post a Comment